Thursday, November 1, 2012

Frankenstorm

Growing up in the midwest doesn't really prepare you to deal with hurricanes.  I can deal with snowstorms, floods, rain, and tornados - but hurricanes?  Sorry, the Great Lakes really don't provide that kind of excitement.  So when it was announced that a hurricane would be hitting our nation's Capitol, my parents were obviously a bit anxious and called me on Sunday.

My mother, who was visiting when Hurricane Irene hit last year, started the conversation with asking me, "So are you all ready for the hurricane to hit? It sounds like it will be more serious then the time I was visiting you."
 "Yes mom, it will be slightly more serious then hurricane Irene, since work has already been cancelled for Monday, but don't worry I'm prepared for it.
At this point my dad, who grew up on the East Coast, interjected with a chuckle "- do you have enough scotch on hand?"  He understands that hurricane warnings really equal hurricane parties.
I assured my parents that not only did I have enough batteries for flashlights on hand but that I also had enough food, and liquid (water and alcohol) on hand to last the house quite a few days.
Before I got off the phone, I also assured my parents that I would text them updates throughout the storm.  I mentioned that there was no need to call me unless they hear that the Capitol is underwater.

In reality, we got two days off of work and lounged around the house eating, drinking, watching television and reading.  I slept almost until noon on both days and it was absolutely glorious!  (Sleeping in is very easy to do when outside is perpetual grey)  It was evident that my house needed these two days off, since the 4 of us were in the family room for over 12 hours and we didn't get cabin fever = win.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment