Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Gotta love a list

Taking a page out of Young House Love's book, I decided that in order to help me focus I should come up with a room - by - room list of things to accomplish or what I would like to do with each room.  Since I am a renter I can't do any major changes ( I would like my security deposit back), but here are my plans for making the apartment my own, and still getting my deposit when I move:

The Family Room

  • Hang Curtains - I have curtains I would like to use, I just need to hang them
  • Build/create a bar area
  • Devise a better pantry system - since there's very little space in the kitchen our pantry and food storage needs to be in this room
  • Baskets for blanket storage - instead of the (clean) trash cans I've been keeping them in
  • Slipcover for sofa and arm chair
  • Recover pillows
  • Gallery wall
  • Add some plant life

The Kitchen/ our "Galley"
  • Spice storage above the burners of the stove
  • Storage above the fridge (shelves?)
  • Storage above the washer/dryer
  • Organize under the sink
  • Go through dishes (again) to create more space to move some food storage to the kitchen
  • Paint the back wall or stencil?
  • Add some type of back splash

The Bathroom

  • Paint the walls - when I first saw this, the other renters had painted it a wonderful blue so I was sad to see the tan
  • Devise some sort of towel storage
  • Hang shower curtain high (and get new, taller shower curtain)
  • Hang art
  • Above toilet storage
The Balcony

  • Add lighting, perhaps solar lights?
  • Seating is a must, currently scouring Craigslist for wicker furniture that is in need of some loving
  • Rug
  • Outdoor coffee table
  • More plants

*I haven't forgotten the bedroom, but I'm attempting to whip up an inspiration board and take a better "in progress" picture to convey some of my ideas.

So who else has a list of what needs to be done around their place?  Any other renters out there who struggle to make their place "homey" while still getting their deposit back?  

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize you have a blog! I really like all of your moving-related posts, and I'm definitely going to keep them in mind as I settle in to my NYC apartment :)

    ReplyDelete