Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pillow Problem

I can totally admit it.  I have a pillow problem - if you look at the post on curtains, you maybe counted 7 pillows on my bed.  Yes, I love pillows and I love sinking back into them and burying myself in them while reading a good book. I have had a pillow problem for about as long as I can remember (my dad was not amused that he had to help me pack 5 pillows for my tiny dorm room for my first day of college.

But, getting back to the point, I love pillows and I wanted to recover my family room pillows.  The year before, my roommates and I decided to do a Maroon and Gold color scheme to honor the University of MN Golden Gophers, since we were both Minnesota natives.  This time around we decided we want to go a bit more "girly" because there were only two of us (both females) in the apartment.

First step was getting the fabric, washing it, ironing it (which I always hate doing, but have enough experience to know that it makes a difference) and then drape it over the couches to see what colors I wanted with what.  Now, I bought the fabric so that it had the same color palette so it could, theoretically all go together.  But since I have different sizes of pillows I wanted to see what worked best.

The Winning Combinations:



And, just for fun - the combinations I tried but didn't like as much


I got my materials ready, and then my sewing machine broke - womp womp.  Then I took apart my sewing machine, cleaned out the broken thread as well as ordered jean needles to get through the thicker uphostery fabric and tried again.



 I first sewed the hems, so I would have nice clean edges



 Then I folded it into a envelope - I wanted to make removable pillow covers so I could wash them if needed.  After folding it then I sewed the two raw edges to make a pillow case. (here is is inside-out and folded, ready to sew)

Flipped it back so the nice side was out, and had some pillows:




I actually ended up covering 11 pillows but apparently only took pictures of these four, I'm sure the other 7 will make appearances in upcoming posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment